Cooking time: min
- Slice the eggplants and the potatoes round 2 inches (1 cm) thick. Soak the eggplants in water for 10 min. Drain and squeeze adding salt. This will remove the bitterness.
- Place eggplants and potatoes on a greased cooking sheet and cook in a pre-heated oven (200°C) for 15 min, turning once.
- In the meantime put the oil in a saucepan, add the garlic and the onion, stir in the mincemeat, add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, oregano, cover and let cook for 15 min.
- Set aside and prepare the bechamel.
- Bechamel preparation:
- Put the olive oil in a small saucepan, add the flour, stirring continuously, add the warm milk slowly, stirring, keep on the fire until it becomes creamy.
- Take away from the fire, add the eggs beaten, add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- For extra flavour add to this mix some grated cheese and half a cup of the minced meat sauce. Stir well and put aside.
- Grease with Extra Virgin Olive Oil a medium size pyrex or pan, sprinkle the bread crumbs and start layering the potatoes first, so they cover the bottom.
- Add one cup of the cooked minced meat sauce and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top and add a layer of eggplant over that.
- Then add more meat sauce, followed by more grated cheese.
- Finally, add some more breadcrumbs especially to the edges of the pan and pour the bechamel sauce to cover.
- Spread evenly and, using a fork run a few lines on the top of the bechamel to create an old fashioned effect.
- Cook for 45 min in a 200°C oven.